About Our Products
Benefits of North Star Fibre’s Cellulose Insulation
North Star Fibre produces a cellulose-fibre, thermal building insulation made from 100% recycled papers with chemical fire retardant (Boric Acid) added.
Some of the benefits of our cellulose insulation are:
- The benefits of cellulose insulation has been proven in numerous industry sponsored, as well as government and third party sponsored tests, to be at least 40% more effective as both a thermal insulator and a sound barrier than other insulating materials. In fact, at temperatures below freezing, the thermal effectiveness of other materials falls precipitously, while cellulose maintains its effectiveness.
- Safe and easy to handle as it is non-toxic and non-corrosive.
- Has the natural ability to absorb and release moisture vapor depending on relative humidity.
- The fire retardants in North Star Fibre’s Cellulose Insulation allows the product to pass strict testing (CAN/ULC-S703-01) in open-flammability, open-flammability permanency, surface burning characteristics, smolder resistance and fungi resistance.
- Cellulose is less expensive to install than other insulating materials.
- Today, one of the most effective ways to save energy when buying new homes or upgrading existing homes is through energy efficient North Star Fibre Cellulose Insulation. Cellulose provides significant, on-going savings versus other insulating materials on the cost of home energy.
- Cellulose insulation is environmentally friendly as well, because it is made up almost entirely of recycled materials.
- Our cellulose insulation is rodent resistant
Cellulose insulation has been around for a long time and an established, time-proven building material. Our cellulose has a settled density of 1.31 lbs/ft3. The coverage per bag is 19.71 ft2 at a value of R40. We have CCMC approval and have been granted the CCMC number 13031-L. We have successfully tested to the new S-703 standard, implemented in June, 2001.
Our recycled paper provides long, inter-locking fibres for unmatched loft and insulation. These fibres are impregnated with a fire retardant chemical. Our cellulose has unmatched insulating capability. It is packaged in 25 lb. bags and these are stacked on pallets and shrink wrapped for easy handling by the consumer. Each pallet holds 57 bags; each trailer holding 912 (48′) or 1,026 (53′).
Conforms to CAN/ULC-S703-01 (supersedes CAN/CGSB-51.60-M90) as Type 1 CFI. It passes the tests for open-flammability, open flammability permanency, surface burning characteristics, smolder resistance, moisture vapour sorption, corrosiveness, fungi resistance, separation of chemicals and thermal resistivity. The tested thermal resistance value is 24.93 m3 CW1/m at the design density.
For more information on our product’s technical and appropriate usage specifications please refer to the following link: Technical Specifications.